Thursday, March 24, 2011

Food for the Tummy and Soul

Rebecca, Lynn & Carla
Georgia Ave. Chruch
Our church is promoting not just Giving Up, but Giving Back for Lent, so they are offering a chance to serve  the under-resourced each day in many different places for 30 days all throughout Atlanta.

Carla, my adventure friend in Atlanta, and I decided to serve at Georgia Avenue Church's food co-op. So we went this week, but we didn't know what to expect.  When we arrived, Brian told us how their church serves 250 families per month and brings in groceries from the Atlanta food back.  They only have to pay $3 to get about $80-90 worth of groceries.

A truck arrived carrying 1 ton of food that would serve 50 families.  So, we began to unpack the truck and sort the groceries with some of the co-op members.  The groceries included meat, fruit, and canned goods.  The boxes were arranged based on how many members were in each family - 1-3, 4-7 and 8 or more.  So the more people, the more food they received.

After the food sorting was done, they read scripture from Ecc. 3, sang "I Am Somebody," and prayed with passion - thanksgiving for the food, for those that came to help, the sick, the mayor, the government.  I was in tears.  It was without a doubt a church service for me! 

As I left, I thought about the food and what had taken place. Part of my story is that I don't have a good relationship with food. I was teased as a child for being overweight, and as a child and young adult, I was on  every kind of diet that has been developed.  I realized that food as been the enemy of sorts.  I realized that I have never needed for food. It was in plenty as I grew up and in plenty throughout my life.  I have always had it in abundance. 

On this day, I realized that food is a gift and a necessity.  It is not the enemy.   Food provides energy to go to work and to nourish the little children that were running around at Georgia Avenue that day and their parents to raise them.

As Brian at Georgia Avenue said, the Co-op provides food for the tummy and soul.  That day it did for me as well. 

No comments: